Monaco is also a city full of history and charm, where the Grimaldi family has been ruled for hundreds of years. But then what should you discover in the Principality? We offer you a tour of what you should visit.
The bus ride from Nice to Monaco on the Bus #100 (Monaco/Menton) is just possibly one of the most stunningly beautiful bus rides in the world.
What to do, what to see in Monaco ?
Monaco, is also an authentic city, with charming little streets. Many are surprised to learn that Monaco has more to offer than rhinestones and sequins
1. The mythical Rock – The old town of Monaco
The beating heart of the city, the Rock is located on the heights of Monaco. The old city is situated in the rock. With its pretty houses dating from the 16th to the 18th, its streets and ramparts, this district will dazzle you with its beauty. A visit out of time, which will allow you to discover, the alleys of the old town, museums, gardens, shopping, restaurant, the chapel of the Visitation, the cathedral and the Palace. You can also admire the breathtaking view of the Mediterranean Sea.
2. The Palace
To visit Monaco is to go through the Palais Princier. Official residence of the Prince since 1927, the Palace overlooks the Mediterranean and perfectly expresses the grandeur of the Grimaldi family. It is also the symbol of the influence of the principality on the Côte d’Azur. The changing of the guards is built up to be quite an event. (at about 11.45)
3. The Oceanographic Museum
Nestled on a cliff at the edge of the Rock, this “temple of the sea” is a magnificent building to the glory of the marine world. With its huge aquarium gathering 6000 varieties of the marine world, the oceanographic museum is a treasure for any lover of the fauna and flora of the seas. This oceanographic museum mixes aquarium with many species of fish and also a more historical part with exposed bones punctuated by a game of sound and light.
4. The exotic garden
This garden is on the cliffside, with an elusive view of the Rock of Monaco and part of the city. It gathers more than 900 species of flora of the semi-arid climate. You can admire many cactus, but also aloe or fig, among the oldest and rarest on our planet. A beautiful walk, which you must punctuate by visiting the Cave Observatory underground natural cavity that can only surprise you.
5. Monte-Carlo casino
To visit Monaco it is also to go to the Casino! The Monte-Carlo casino is as magnificent as it is prestigious. Eldorado of the Belle Epoque style architectural game, this place has made the fortune of many players of the principality, but it is also known for the beauty of its salons. Do not miss his Opera Theater, which is definitely worth a look.
local guide tips
- Visit the world famous Monte Carlo Casino and stop for a coffee at the Cafe de Paris in front.
- Visit the Prince of Monaco’s Palace where the changing of the guards takes place each day at 11:55am.
- Visit the old town of Monaco and pay your respects at the final resting place of the Princess of Monaco, Grace Kelly.
- Visit the Museum of Oceanography in the old town and have something to eat in the the rooftop restaurant whilst enjoying panoramic views of Monaco.
- Head to the port to drink a luxury beer during happy hour in the Brasserie de Monaco, the only place that brews Monaco beer. http://www.brasseriedemonaco.com/en/